The 8th International Symposium on Live Subtitling and Accessibility
will be organised at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
on 19 April 2023
After a very successful online conference in 2020 with a showcase of novel practices and training, research areas and innovative projects in the live subtitling and accessibility fields, the symposium is back in a face to face and online formats. The live subtitling community will meet again in Barcelona in April 2023 to discuss the latest trends and challenges in the sector.
Research on live subtitling has always been characterised by an evolving scenario closely related to technologies, with transdisciplinary collaborations between and across many fields: Translation Studies, Interpreting Studies, Media Accessibility, Cognitive Science, Engineering, Sociology, AI, etc.
This has allowed live subtitling to increasingly become the object of conferences, academic and vocational courses, research studies, scientific publications, and international projects. The interest of the professional community has also had an impact on research, and the number of joint academic/professional research projects is at all-time high with MediaVerse, Euphonia and GreenSCENT in Europe.
The live subtitling symposium has always been an important meeting point for professionals, users, trainers, and researchers. It is expected to serve as a platform to exchange current training, new working practices, and innovative research projects. For this reason, the scientific committee welcomes proposals about the following topics, but not limited to:
- quality of real-time subtitles, and how to measure it;
- live subtitling techniques;
- minority languages and live subtitling
- new working flows and practices;
- automatic and semi-automatic live subtitling;
- interlingual live subtitling;
- new technological developments;
- diversity and inclusion best practices;
- live subtitling training and teaching;
- the role of end users;
- legislation and standards;
- live editing, and post-edition
- live subtitling sustainability
- right management, business models, and monetisation
- other accessibility services
Our aim is to generate a lively discussion. Presentations will last 15 minutes and they will be included in a panel session where ample time for discussion will be allotted. Please plan your proposal so that it fits the requested time.
- Submission of proposals: 30 October 2022.
- Notification of rejection/acceptance: 11 January 2023.
- Submission of presentation in pdf format. Please notice that this helps our participants to download the presentation from the website and enlarge it, should they need it: 17 April 2023.
- Conference: 19 April 2023.